Basmati Rice and Peas – A match made in heaven
I have been meaning to start posting some recipes with photos so finally, here it is. This is one of our family favorites. It showcases how easy it is to use spices and how a single spice can add such accent and depth to a dish. You can also make this dish with brown basmati rice. The rice in itself is fragrant and has a nutty flavor. Use petit peas, they add a touch of natural sweetness and the cumin adds a toasty flavor. You can eat this by itself or serve it with your favorite side or curry.
Next week, I will be posting a super simple way to make fish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup Basmati rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw)
2 cups of water
Table salt to taste
1. Rinse the rice at least 3–4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat.
3. Add the cumin seeds. When the begin to sizzle, add the peas.
4. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes
5. Add the rice and salt. Mix well. Add the water and bring to a rolling boil.
6. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
7. Cover the rice with a lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
8. Remove from heat. Let it sit for about 5 minu
s. Fluff with a fork before serving. Serve hot.