This year my book, Modern Spice, celebrates five years! In honor of the book, I will be posting a few recipes over the year. I think this became one of the most popular recipes in the book — chicken wings ala monica!
INDIAN CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
Serves 6 to 8
Prep/Cook time: about 25 minutes, plus 3 hours marination
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon store-bought ginger-garlic paste
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons red chile flakes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried mango powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons table salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ½ pounds chicken wings (about 20 wings), tips cut off
Nonstick cooking spray
Store-bought chaat masala for garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine the cream, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chile flakes, lemon juice, fenugreek, mango powder, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Add the chicken wings and toss to thoroughly coat them. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 3 hours.
3. Turn on the broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it lightly.
4. Place the wings on the baking sheet. Pour any remaining marinade on top of the wings.
5. Broil the wings about 4 inches from the heat until cooked through, about 12 minutes on each side or until they begin to brown well. Turn the wings once.
6. Serve sprinkled with chaat masala.