I really love Kara Newman’s cocktails. Spice & Ice (Chronicle Books, 2009) by Kara Newman is a fantastic little treasure of a book filled with recipes for those who love a little spice with their libations. Doesn’t it sound like it was tailor-made for me?! I have read the book cover to cover and tried several recipes all of which are a hit in our house. Specifically what I love about them is that Kara has taken utmost care that the drinks taste like drinks and not science experiments! After all the joy of a cocktail is that it should be fun and satisfying and yet have a bit of a surprise in each sip and her drinks fall under that category.
And now, we are teaming up for something FUN!!!
We are hosting a month long contest in which you are invited to build a cocktail using a spice. And why would you want to do that? Well, two reasons, first your winning recipe + photo + bio will be featured on my site and on Kara’s site and secondly, you will win a BOXLOAD of goodies (see below for details)
Rules for the cocktails:
1. Drinks must include at least one spice.
2. No more than seven ingredients.
3. Drink must be original
Rules for the contest:
1. Once you have created your recipe, post it on your blog and enter a comment here telling us about it.
2. At the end of the month, Kara will select three finalists. Drinks will be judged on originality of how spices are used, as well as taste and appearance of the finished drink. Kara will make (and drink!) the top 3 finalist cocktails.
3. One winner will be selected on October 10th, 2011. The winner will received a signed copy of Spice & Ice, plus a fab gift box of goodies to encourage further drink experiments!
4. DEADLINE TO SUMBIT IS SEPT 30th
I am so thrilled to announce that we have a BIG box of fun stuff for the winner of this contest. I hope you will enter and try to win this amazing box of stuff.
Included are (please note that I may make last minute substitutions, additions etc. but you will, for sure, get the stuff that is shown here) –
- The fantastic folks at William Sonoma are providing a large set of spices to giveaway. These spices are favorites of the Voltaggio brothers!
- Foster Fine Foods is sharing some fantastic products from Chile include The Huerto Azul Fig Chutney with Merken is the perfect complement for basting and topping grilled meats, and also cheeses and the Huerto Azul Onion Jam with Merlot that is simply delicious.
- Chef David James Robinson, Executive Chef/Executive Producer at Bezalel Gables Productions is kindly sharing a FULL dvd set of his fantastic series, “Eat your Mistakes.” I really love this collection. It will have you eating your cooking mistakes in no time and learning from them as well!
- The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley has provided a super fun cocktail shaker. AND a gift certificate allowing you to try three of their products for free!
- Bar Keep Bitters– These amazing bitters will make your drinks shine!
- Kara Newman’s fantastic book: Spice & Ice
- Lindsay Olives is generously sharing many cans of their buttery olives.
- MySpiceSage.com is sharing a box of spices perfect for the winter time! I truly adore their spices and I think you will love it as well. They will provide – Cayenne pepper, Chipotle pepper powder, Cinnamon korintje and Coriander seeds
Contest is open to everyone but I can only ship this to a US address. Please dont ask me to ship overseas as it is prohibitively expensive!
Come on and build us a tipple!