This avocado soup recipe of mine was featured in Vogue India last year. I am thrilled to share it with you.. it is a lovely, romantic taste for two!
Photo courtesy Reem Rizvi
Avocado-Coconut Shooter with Fried Garlic, Spicy Shrimp and Basil
By Monica Bhide
This unusual and refreshing cold soup has a kick to it. Leave out the green chiles if you are not one for spice—but I wouldn’t recommend it!
2 green serrano or jalapeño chiles, seeded and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro
½ to ¾ large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1½ tablespoons fresh lime or fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup coconut milk (do not use light coconut milk)
For the tempering
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
6-8 medium shrimp, cleaned (no tail, no head)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili
Pinch of salt
2 large basil leaves (preferably purple basil; if not available, green is fine), julienned
- Combine the chile, cilantro, avocado, lemon juice, honey and coconut milk in a blender. Process until smooth. Check the consistency: it should be thicker than heavy cream, but not as thick as yogurt. Add a little more coconut milk if it needs to be thinned out. If it is too thin, add a little more avocado. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer the soup to a container and chill for an hour
- When ready to serve, pour the chilled soup in two small cups.
- Prepare the tempering: Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the garlic and cumin. Cook for 20 seconds or so until the garlic begins to change color. Add the shrimp, chili powder, and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Divide the tempering equally between the two cups. Be sure to do it gently so the shrimp sit on top of the soup and doesn’t get fully submerged! (They may get a little submerged, but that is fine!). Alternatively, you can balance them on the rim of your cup or, if you prefer, use a nice wine glass.
- Garnish with the basil and serve.
quite an unusual soup, but would be willing to try anything with avocado! http://www.chaiacupoflife.com
I made a just the soup for a light lunch: you were right, add the chiles. Astounding. The only problem is i didn’t make enough.
This looks amazing and a perfect Valentines dinner starter- I am so making this!