I am so pleased to share with you the next recipe in my series: Monica’s Indian Express: Simple & Sassy Weeknight Dishes.
This is a very versatile soup. You can season it as you like: use a curry powder of your choice. If you dont have it on hand or dont like it, use toasted ground cumin and a bit of ground nutmeg. Want something diff? Season with toasted ground fennel and ground coriander. What it spicy? Add loads of cayenne!
Monica’s Sriracha Spiked Roasted cauliflower, carrot and baby pea soup
1 small head of cauliflower, separated into small florets, discard green parts and hard stem
2 small carrots, peeled and diced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
Olive oil, as needed
Curry powder (about 2 tablespoons or as needed)
Salt is option
For the soup:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
4 cups broth (divided 2 + 2) (preferably home-made)
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen baby peas
Sriracha or chili oil for garnish
2. Place the cauliflower, carrots and onions on an ovenproof tray. Season with olive oil and spices (your choice.. see note above)
3. Roast for about 45 minutes or until really tender.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
When ready to prepare the soup:
2. Add two cups of the broth, the bay leaves and the peas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and set to simmer.
3. While the broth is simmering, puree the cauliflower mix along with the remaining two cups of broth. Use water if you need to (if the broth is not enough).
4. Add the pureed cauliflower back into the simmering pea broth.
5. Check for seasoning.
6. Add more broth if you want your soup thinner.
7. Bring to a gentle boil, remove from heat. Drizzle Sriracha or a chile oil and serve hot.